Friday, February 15, 2013

One Year Ago...

I was sitting beside my Bestemor waiting for her to go home to her Lord.  I don't like to judge which way I believe a person goes when they do die, but if Grandma didn't go Up, none of us stands a chance.  Grandma was Norwegian and proud of it. She loved all things Norwegian- lefse,lutefisk, sweaters, silver, all of it.  Bestemor means "Best Mother" or "Grandmother" in Norwegian.  I loved to hear her talk in Norwegian, so strange and exciting to a little girl.  She made sure that you would roll your R when you said Bestemor because that was the proper way to say it.

Me and Bestemor at her retirement home
Grandma was a beautiful person.  She was a farmers wife, a teacher, a mother to three boys, a pioneer, a pianist and a hard worker who never complained.  She was determined and directed and she read her Bible everyday... she was a woman who had her life figured out and never waivered with her decisions.  I miss her.

I made Bestemor this quilt in Sept. 2008
Emma and Bestemor
This is the last picture that I took of Grandma.  It was Christmas at my parents home and six weeks before she passed.  And did she LOVE Emma!  She had three boys of her own and in my family she had seven grandsons and one granddaughter.  Can you blame her?



I now have three finished border stars for my Stars quilt...only 21 to go!  I'm not sure if I will finish all these star blocks before I lose my patience altogether.  They are a ton of work and I can see why this quilt is broken up into twelve months!!  Thanks for reading and have a great weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Grandmas are always hard to lose. I miss minem too. Such history! Your blocks are looking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We lost Lorin's Dad a year ago yesterday so I remembered today was a year for your Grandma and thought about you. Seems like a lot longer for me. Your blocks are very pretty - can't wait to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your stories and pictures of Bestemor, as well as the ones of your Stars quilt in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lovely tribute to your grandmother. I love our connections to the generations: those now, those who are gone, and those who are to come.

    ReplyDelete