Friday, February 08, 2013

My retreat

I had trouble deciding what I wanted to work on at retreat this year.  I have been working on my Stars quilt, but I was thinking that quilt is a bit too intense for retreat.  I'm needing a clear head and lots of concentration when I work on that one!  I love the quilt and it is a constant challenge for me.  After a week or two of trying to pick anther project, I caved and decided to take along my Stars.  So I gathered up all of my work thus far and all 25 yards of fabric.  Sue Garmin, the designer of Stars for a New Day, ensured a quick Month Three and so I brought along the patterns for Months 4, 5 and 6 and even contemplated grabbing Month 7, too.  Yah!  Wishful thinking on my part.  I didn't even finish Month 3.  Sigh!  Month 3 was assembling the pinwheels and making them into a border, as well as making eight sawtooth border stars that finish at 4.5 inches square and adding a floater border.

Here are my first Three Months.

In this picture, I don't have the pinwheels or floater border sewn on, but it is sewn on and since I forgot it at guild yesterday, I can't take a picture of it. 

What I really wanted to share with you today is my newest beautiful nephew with his quilt.


I think he loves it!  I know his Momma does.  She already has it posted on her Facebook.  It's nice to be appreciated.

We had a guild meeting yesterday and Charlene had this quilt to show us.  She hand quilted it, too.


I've spent most of the morning working on Month 4.  The next step is making 24 (I think) different star blocks that finish at 8 inches square.  The pattern is deceiving because they look bigger than that.  The pieces for the blocks finish at 1 inch.  Yeah, tiny, but they're gonna look really, really, really good!


The half square triangles are paper-pieced making them very accurate
Ready for pressing


And I must have a thing for Sampler Quilt because this book is my latest find on Amazon.  I was also pleased to find that the author is a fellow Canadian.

3 comments:

  1. It is always good to set goals....after all June is coming...no pressure though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Stars for a New Day is going to be worth every minute you put into it. So far it's marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda. You always have something encouraging to comment for us Block Party girls!

      Delete