Saturday, August 25, 2012

A bit of sewing...

I was able to finish my nine-patch blocks for my Cotton Candy Stars quilt and are they  beautiful!  The tiny nine-patch squares finish at an inch, and we all know that the smaller the pieces, the nicer the quilt, right??

18 finished blocks



Cotton Candy Stars is a two block quilt and in the second block, there is a very common and traditional block.  I'm not sure of the actual name for this block, but it is a square block with a 60 degree triangle flanked by two smaller triangles.  The pattern gives two options for sewing this block.  The first one is a template that you could trace onto mylar plastic and the second option is to buy the Tri-Recs acrylic template made by EZ Quilting.  I bought the acrylic templates and WOW are they a duo worth having.  You first cut your strips to your needed width and then use the triangular rulers to cut your sections.


I think that the magic in this ruler set is hidden in the bottom corners of the pink triangles...see the little notches cut out?  When I cut out the pink triangles, I looked at that little notch and decided that I wasn't cutting out that little waste of time...  But when I made my first triangle block, I cut out those notches and saw that the notch is your reference point for lining up your fabrics.



A finished triangle block...all you have to do is trim off the ears.  I have sewed 14 of these blocks and they have all been bang on.



I am starting to get a glimpse of what this quilt will look like finished, and I love it.  I am now done 21 of the 35 blocks. 

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you about the Tri Recs templates. I heard a good rumor at the Weyburn Walmart today. The rumor is that you Torquay ladies are going to do a trunk show for the Weyburn guild. I hope, hope, hope it's a true rumor!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that a couple ladies have committed to coming to it...not sure who all yet.

    ReplyDelete