Friday, April 27, 2012

Contemplating the Curve Master foot

So I need some sewing advice from my friends.  Helen suggested that I try the Curve Master foot for sewing my New York Beauty blocks.  I did a little research online and on Youtube and then gave the foot a try this morning.  I started with this

The packaging boasts an accurate scant 1/4 inch seam allowance

and got this


You can see that there is a 3/4 inch difference.  Let's give this another shot.



And three is still a difference of 3/4 of an inch.  Then it dawned on me that I need to include my seam allowance which I hadn't done in the first two tries.  I simply cut a square on my first two tries.  On the yellow piece, the fabric got away on me a bit and I had to stop, rip and resew.    On both blocks, there wasn't a pucker or a crease.  This is good, right?  Lets try the NYB now.



No gel nails for this girl!

And three obvious puckers.  The difference in the three tries is that the first two did not have pieced concaves and the third does.  The bottom piece has thirteen pieces and is very, very stiff.  It was really hard to manipulate the bottom piece.  There wasn't the flow that there was in the first two tries.  I didn't bother to iron the third piece because it needs to be taken apart and resewed.  Is the Curve Master foot going to work on the pieced or not?  I am reluctant to do any more for fear of the same results.  What do you think?

Also, if there is a 3/4 inch difference in the fabric, it makes me think that the 1/4 inch seam allowance on the Curve Master is too large.  Shouldn't it be closer to 1/2 inch?

2 comments:

  1. Yi-yah.... I see your frustation. I am not a gadget girl so I would suggest you work though it and let us know if it's worth it!! I was fine with the old fashioned way myself. You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracey,
    When I used the Curve Master foot, I used a template for cutting the sections. There is a quarter inch seam allowance on each section.
    Holding the top section up is essential to having both sections line up at the end - and not have excess fabric there.
    I had good success when I used this foot.
    Today, I received the shank for my Bernina so that I can make a twin sized quilt, using a Drunkards path pattern. Helen

    ReplyDelete